‘DOCTOR WHO,’ ‘VAMPIRE DIARIES,’ Q&AS, COSPLAY, CREATIVE PANELS HEAD PROGRAMMING AT WIZARD WORLD AUSTIN; MOST INCLUDED WITH ANY ADMISSION
‘Women of Pop Culture,’ Danny Trejo, Zachary Levi Q&As, Disney Trivia, creator panels, ‘Magnum P.I.’ exclusive screening, costume contests, ‘Ghostbusters’-themed activities, cosplay sessions all weekend long at Austin Convention Center, Sept. 21-23
(AUSTIN, TEXAS – Sept. 20, 2018; source: Juice Consulting) – Q&A sessions with stars of “Doctor Who” (David Tennant, Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie), “The Vampire Diaries” (Ian Somerhalder and David Alpay), “Charmed” (Holly Marie Combs and Brian Krause) plus Zachary Levi (“Chuck,” “Shazam!”), Danny Trejo (“Machete,” “Heat”), anime, video games, cosplayer and comics creator sessions, a series of “Ghostbusters”-themed activities, adult and kids costume contests and more highlight the programming offerings at Wizard World Austin this Friday through Sunday, Sept. 21-23 at the Austin Convention Center. Most programming is included as part of the standard event admission and is in addition to the live entertainment options (dancing, music, etc.) all weekend.
Wizard World Austin guest and “Doctor Who” star David Tennant
Wizard World events bring together thousands of fans of all ages to celebrate the best in pop culture: movies, television, gaming, live entertainment, comics, sci-fi, graphic novels, toys, original art, collectibles, contests and more. The 12th event scheduled on the 2018 Wizard World calendar, Austin show hours are Friday, Sept. 21, 4 – 9 p.m.; Saturday, Sept. 22, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; Sunday, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Kids 10 and under are admitted free with paid adult.
Wizard World Austin is also the place for cosplay, with fans young and old showing off their best costumes throughout the event. Fans dressed as every imaginable character – and some never before dreamed – will roam the convention floor and participate in the famed Wizard World Costume Contest on Saturday evening. For more on the 2018 Wizard World Austin, visit www.wizd.me/AustinPR.
Media sponsors for this year’s Wizard World Austin convention include The Austin Chronicle, CBS Austin, Do512 and Do512 Family and KUT 90.5 and KUTX 98.9. Media partners include Austin City Limits Radio, 101X and iHeart Media.
Some highlights of the more than 50 hours of panels scheduled to date include:
- Interactive group Q&As with the casts of “The Vampire Diaries” (Saturday, 4 p.m.) “Charmed” (Sunday, 1 p.m.), and the “Women of Pop Culture” Combs and Charisma Carpenter (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” Saturday, 2 p.m.)
- Sessions with Tennant (Saturday, 10 a.m.), Capaldi (Saturday, 12:15 p.m.), Mackie (Friday, 7:15 p.m.), Levi (Saturday, 3 p.m.), Trejo (Saturday, 4 p.m.), Kevin Sorbo (“Hercules,” Saturday, 5 p.m.), Jerry Mathers (“Leave it to Beaver,” Sunday, 11 a.m.) and Neil McDonough (“Legends of Tomorrow,” “Arrow”; Sunday, 11:30 a.m.)
- Disney Trivia panel with Walt Before Mickey stars Thomas Ian Nicholas (“Rookie of the Year”) and Jon Heder (“Napoleon Dynamite”), moderated by Handbook for Mortals author Lani Sarem (Saturday, 2 p.m.)
- Voice actor sessions featuring Jen Brown and Shannon McCormick of “RWBY” (Saturday, 1:30 p.m.); Mike McFarland and Ian Sinclair of “Dragonball” (Saturday, 3:30 p.m.); and Elizabeth Maxwell (“Attack on Titan”), Jen Brown (“RWBY”) and Patricia Summersett (“Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild”) (Sunday, 1 p.m)
- An array of Ghostbuster-themed activities, including fan group fandom, building equipment and more
- Creator sessions with industry superstars Rob Liefeld, Phil Ortiz, Tom Cook, Genese Davis, Devri Walls, Joshua Robertson, Alex Langley, Josh Lyman, Tony Kim, Dr. Travis Langley and more
- Fan-based panels on subjects ranging from Marvel vs. DC, Yokai Girls, Paranormal pop culture and more
- Exclusive premiere screening of the new CBS show “Magnum, P.I.” (Saturday, 3 p.m.) with CBS merchandise giveaways and trivia contest
- Kids programming all three days, including story time, face painting, puppet shows, dance parties, magic, learn to draw, (and Kids 10 and under are free every day with paid adult)
- World-famous Wizard World Adult Costume Contest, Saturday at 7 p.m. and Kids Costume Contests on Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Cosplay with special guests Hendo Art, Alkali Layke, SilverLining, DevouringDark, Princess Morgan, Baroness Von T and more, throughout the weekend
- Cosplay and Industry Workshops (Pokémon, Sculpting, Special FX Makeup, Wiz-Art, Heroic Posing, Mold Making/Resin Casting), require additional ticket
Unless noted, programming events take place in the designated General Programming Rooms or show floor stages at the convention center. VIP tickets or additional costs may apply to ensure access to select activities, as noted.
A full list of Wizard World Austin programming is available at www.wizardworld.com/programming-entertainment/austin (subjects, guests, times and rooms subject to change).
ABOUT WIZARD WORLD (OTCBB: WIZD):
Wizard World, Inc. – www.wizardworld.com – produces comic, gaming and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate the best in pop culture: movies, television, gaming, live entertainment, tech, comics, sci-fi, graphic novels, toys, original art, collectibles, contests and more. A first-class lineup of topical programming and entertainment takes place at each event, with celebrity Q&A’s, comics-themed sessions, costume contests, movie screenings, evening parties and more. Wizard World has also teamed with Sony Pictures Entertainment to find the next generation of movies as well as to engage in a number of strategic initiatives. Additional initiatives may include an augmented touring schedule of Wizard World shows, fixed-site installations, curated e-commerce, and the production and distribution of content both in the U.S. and internationally. Fans can interact with Wizard World at www.wizardworld.com and on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and other social media services.
The 2018 Wizard World convention schedule is available at: www.wizardworld.com/comiccon.
For general press inquiries or interview requests about this year’s Wizard World Austin event, please contact the team at Juice Consulting:
Heather Wagner Reed
713 208 3891
210 854 9119