AUSTIN TRAIL OF LIGHTS ANNOUNCES TICKETS ON SALE FOR THE ANNUAL FUN RUN SATURDAY, DEC. 1
The Fun Run offers Austinites a unique chance to experience the beauty and magic of Austin’s own Trail of Lights before it opens to the public; Early Bird tickets on sale now!
(AUSTIN, TEXAS – Sept. 12, 2018 source: Juice Consulting) – The 54th annual Austin Trail of Lights, powered by H-E-B, announces Early Bird registrations currently on sale for the Austin Trail of Lights Fun Run – taking place on Saturday, Dec. 1 from 6 – 10 p.m. The Fun Run includes a 2.1-mile course that starts at the iconic Zilker Holiday Tree and takes thousands of festive Fun Runners through the sights of the Austin Trail of Lights, ending with a celebration in the center of Zilker Park – the Finish Line Festival and Expo. The Finish Line Festival and Expo will feature DJ entertainment from DJ Chino Casino, a dance party, Ferris Wheel and Carousel rides, food trucks, drinks, fitness expo and more! Wacky holiday costumes are always welcome!
Fun Run Early Bird registrations are on sale through Tuesday, Oct. 16 or until quantities run out. Regular registration prices will take effect on Wednesday, Oct. 17. For more information on the Fun Run, please see: www.austintrailoflights.org/2018-fun-run.
St. David’s HealthCare Back as Fun Run Title Sponsor
The Austin Trail of Lights is also excited to announce that St. David’s HealthCare is back as Fun Run title sponsor. St. David’s HealthCare’s commitment helps bring a first look of the Trail of Lights to active central Texans while also blending both community and employee engagement in activities that promote health and fitness by providing free and discounted registrations to hundreds of its employees and their families.
“St. David’s HealthCare is committed to supporting our community by investing in programs and events that encourage fitness and improve the overall health of our community,” said Denise Bradley, Vice President of Communication and Community Affairs for St. David’s HealthCare. “We are excited to partner with the Trail of Lights Foundation on its annual Fun Run once again, as this event demonstrates the diversity of our programs, and it brings the magic of the holidays to our community.”
Fun Run Registration Details
On Dec. 1, the first wave of Fun Runners will start the course at 6 p.m. and the second wave will start at 7:30 p.m. Current Early Bird registration pricing starts at $29* for Early Bird Adults and $15* for Early Bird Youth (11 and under). VIP Registration offers access into the VIP Lounge at the Finish Line Festival, nacho bar buffet, included drink tickets, performance t-shirt upgrade and additional VIP upgrades. VIP registrations are $75 for Adults and $35 for Youth (11 and under). Fun runners are encouraged to plan ahead and purchase on-site Parking for $15 (race registration not included). Friends and family wanting to attend ONLY the post-course party can purchase Finish Line Festival ONLY Passes for $15 (race registration not included). *Early Bird registrations are limited with pricing available for a limited time or until sold out.
Those interested in registering with a team of 15 or more can receive a 10% discount code off Adult registration. Those interested in registering for the Fun Run, please click here.
2018 Highlights and New Attractions
Since it began in 1965, the Austin Trail of Lights has grown into one of Austin’s largest events, attracting an average of 400,000 people per year. Every holiday season, Austin’s iconic Zilker Park is transformed into the Trail of Lights with over two million lights, 65+ displays, 30 food trucks, three entertainment stages, 50 private holiday parties and interactive experiences throughout the park.
The annual tradition continues to grow, celebrating the quirky, independent character that Austin is recognized for across the country. New attractions and enhanced areas will be found throughout the Trail. Some new highlights include a 13-foot illuminated carriage, 12 seven-foot lighted guitars commemorating Austin’s musical roots and a 25-foot spiral holiday tree.
Trail of Lights Foundation Community Engagement
Rachel Green has been named president-elect of the Trail of Lights Foundation Board, the independent nonprofit organization responsible for stewarding the long-term sustainability of Austin’s largest community celebration.
“I am honored to help spark the wonder of the holidays for all Central Texans as a part of the Trail of Lights Foundation,” said Rachel Green. “As a relatively new Austinite, coming to the Trail of Lights made me feel like I was a part of the rich history and culture of our amazing city. I hope that all Central Texans can make this unique celebration part of their annual tradition, just as I have.”
To continue its mission in ensuring access for all to the Austin Trail of Lights, the Trail of Lights Foundation Board is expanding the STARS at the Trail program so that anyone can experience this long-standing community tradition. Since 2013, STARS at the Trail has hosted more than 4,500 children, families, veterans and seniors for private Trail of Lights experiences. This year, the Trail of Lights Foundation Board will be providing access for even more organizations to attend the Austin Trail of Lights on public operating nights.
Applications for STARS participation is open to 501c3 organizations. Applications are available online at austintrailoflights.org/stars-application until Oct. 4.
The Trail of Lights Foundation also invites musicians, choirs, dance companies, theatre troupes and other performers to apply to perform at the Trail. The application is available on austintrailoflights.org/performer-application until Sept. 28.
Ticketing, Specialty Nights and Programming
On Saturday, Dec. 1, Austin Trail of Lights Fun Runners will get an exclusive First Look at the Trail of Lights. This year’s official Grand Opening of the Austin Trail of Lights will be on Monday, Dec. 10 where general admission will be Free to the public. The Trail of Lights will remain open Dec. 11 – 23 with gates open from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. every evening. Admission for children under 12 is always free at the Trail. The Trail of Lights Foundation is committed to keeping access to the Trail free for the public on seven out of the 14 nights of the event, with a nominal admission fee on the remaining seven nights. Early entry ZIP Fast Passes, VIP Platinum, parking and shuttle passes are also available for purchase on select nights.
Calendars for ticket availability, special programming and online ticket purchases will be available October 2018 at austintrailoflights.org.
- Sunday, Nov. 25: The Annual Zilker Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony kicks off the holiday season in Zilker Park. Now in its 52nd year, the Zilker Holiday Tree stands 155 feet tall and is built around one of Austin’s historic moontowers. Food vendors and other merchants will operate at the tree throughout the month of December.
- Saturday, Dec. 1: The Annual Trail of Lights Fun Run
- Dec. 2, 3 and 4: The Fifth Annual STARS at the Trail program hosts up to 20 nonprofit organizations for private tours of the Trail, along with additional program expansion. The Trail of Lights will be closed to the public on these nights.
- Saturday, Dec. 8: Night Lights, the Fifth Annual Preview Party, serves as the Trail of Lights Foundation’s annual fundraising event, with funds going to help keep the Trail of Lights accessible for all in the community. The event will feature headlining entertainment, food tastings from Austin restaurants and specialty activities not available during the general run of the Trail.
- Monday, Dec. 10: Austin Trail of Lights Grand Opening will officially open the Trail of Lights to the public with a countdown ceremony and entry tunnel lighting, presentations by community leaders and a special celebration for Trail of Lights sponsors. Event entry on Grand Opening night is free and open to the public.
- Tuesday, Dec. 11: Heroes Night will feature specialty programming and honor all first responders, including current and veteran military, police, fire and EMS personnel with special ZIP access for Heroes and their families.
Additional specialty nights will be announced as details are available. For more information on specialty nights at the Trail, please visit austintrailoflights.org.
Accolades and Statistics
- Third Largest Event in Austin according to the Austin Business Journal (2018)
- Recognized as a Top 10 lighting or holiday event by USA Today, Yahoo and Southern Living (2017)
- CNN gave the Trail of Lights attention in a Facebook Live video. (2016)
- Southern Living named the Austin Trail of Lights as one of the “5 Places with Must See Christmas Lights” (2015)
- Up to 400,000 attendees visit every year, on average
- 28,000 average nightly attendance in 2017
- Two million twinkling lights, 90 wrapped trees & over 65 holiday displays
- More than 1 million miles walked on the Trail by attendees annually
- 8,000 runners at the 2017 Fun Run
- 14,000 photos taken with Santa in 2017
- 1,000 volunteers annually
- 20+ nonprofit groups hosted through the STARS at the Trail program
- 90+ performers in 2017, with musical highlights over the years from Whiskey Shivers, Efraim Owens, Mother Falcon, Shiny Ribs, Jimmie Vaughan and more
The Austin Trail of Lights offers holiday parties for groups from 50 – 2,000 individuals. Parties are located in Zilker Village of the Trail of Lights, adjacent to the iconic Yule Log and a performance stage. Beautifully decorated, heated spaces can be customized to your group’s needs – with food and entertainment options available. Great for coworkers, organizations, non-profit groups, families and friends, Holiday Parties are available from Dec. 10 – 23, 2018. More information about hosting a Holiday Party at the Austin Trail of Lights can be found at austintrailoflights.org/holiday-parties.
The Austin Trail of Lights operates entirely with support from sponsors, individual donors and funds from ticket sales. H-E-B returns again for the 7th year as the title sponsor. Support also comes from partners including Dell Children’s / Ascension, Vista Equity Partners, Keller Williams International, Cirrus Logic, Austin Parks Foundation, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin Convention Center and Silicon Labs, NXP, Maudie’s Tex Mex, ABC Home & Commercial Services, Lori & Tito Beveridge, Watkins Insurance, UPS and Central Texas Pediatric Orthopedics.
Sponsor opportunities and custom brand activation opportunities are currently available. For information, please contact Jill Weir at email@example.com.
About the Trail of Lights Foundation
The Trail of Lights Foundation is an independent nonprofit corporation dedicated to producing and maintaining the Austin Trail of Lights as an authentically Austin community celebration. The organization raises the funds from donations by individuals and the business community to produce and ensure the long-term sustainability of Austin’s largest community celebration. It is curated in close conjunction with its long-time partner, Forefront Networks, who provides turn-key production, marketing, sponsorship and programming services to the foundation. The Trail of Lights has remained in the top three Austin events since the Trail of Lights Foundation adopted the event in 2012.
For more information on The Trail of Lights, please see austintrailoflights.org.
For general press inquiries about the Trail of Lights, please contact the team at Juice Consulting:
Heather Wagner Reed
713 208 3891
210 213 8934
210 854 9119